Fitted Diapers – Pros and Cons

I’ve never been a huge user of fitted diapers.  For the longest time, I thought that the negatives outweighed the positives.  Lately, though, I’ve been rethinking my anti-fitted bias.

Why Fitted Diapers Are Awesome

Fitted diapers have an amazing ability to absorb.  Because the entire diaper is made of absorbent materials (often bamboo, organic cotton, or hemp), they have a remarkable ability to hold moisture.  When you’re dealing with a child who pees through everything, a diaper that can hold very nearly two cups of liquid is a good thing.

Why Fitted Diapers Are Not Awesome

Fitted Diapers - Pros and Cons (Cloth Diaper Addicts)So, fitted diapers can absorb like nobody’s business.  While it’s true that they can hold a lot, they don’t wick moisture away from the skin.  That’s far from awesome to me, as it doesn’t take much for Eudora to get a rash or for Norton to smell like he’s been marinating in his own urine.  I’m also not keen on diapers that require a cover: it’s like diapering twice.  When they’re small or when they’re nearly ready for housebreaking, it’s not too bad… but then there’s that awful, wrestling phase that often ends up with one or both participants crying or experiencing some sort of physical pain.  At that point, the last thing I want to do is have to do the diapering process twice.

Cute fitted diapers really make me sad because there’s the gorgeousness… and then it gets hidden.

Working Around the Not Awesome

As much as there are those “not awesome” aspects of fitted diapers (which, really, put me off of using them for a very long time), there are ways to get around it.  Don’t like the non-wicking part?  I put a Best Bottom stay dry insert layer between my baby and the fitted.  This makes it possible for me to get some extra absorption to go along with the wicking quality, too.  Another friend of mine likes to do the same thing, except she puts a Funky Fluff insert between her baby and the fitted.  More reasonable people would just put a stay dry microfleece liner in between.

Are you a fan of fitted diapers?  How many are in your stash?

Comments

1. I think I have 8 fitteds? I had three but I know that someone got me some for my sip and see shower tomorrow. I love them for overnights with my 3.5 week old because it allows her to sleep longer without HAVING to be changed right away. So far no rashes but I like the idea of a stay dry insert — I’ll have to get some!

2. L Potter says:

I don’t have fitteds and the top two reasons are 1) they can be super bulky, and 2) I don’t want a super cute diaper that I have to cover up and hide. Yes I can get white fitteds but I love the cuteness of diapers and white is just too plain and boring.

3. I’m totally with you on the cuteness getting covered up!

4. Andrea R says:

I use fitteds at night. I have Stretch Bamboozles, and add an applecheeks staydry booster. I also use Kissaluvs fitteds for the first morning change, because the baby pees a LOT after she wakes up, but I have to change her after 30-60 min, and it’s SOAKED. The Bamboozles are fantastic. I don’t care what it looks like, I just want something that lasts all night. If it was a cute print that needed a cover, so be it.

5. I absolutely love the name of your children!!! Thanks for this great info about fitted diapers.

6. I love fitteds, especially for night time! Great post!

7. I use my non-cute and super absorbent fitteds for overnight and the cute ones I’ll put on my son during the day with no cover (if we are hanging around the house). Fitteds were especially great when my son had the stomach flu, they contained everything SO well.

8. This is helpful. I’d read that fitteds were great for overnight but didn’t know they didn’t wick. But it seems like the work of an insert, a fitted, and a cover is about as much work as a pocket or AIO with extra absorbent boosters. I guess experimenting is the only way to answer what will work best for this baby when he/she arrives later this month!

9. Brandy Hauser says:

I want to use mostly fitters when my new one is born in July. Thanks for the thoughts, I will now be better prepared by having some stay dry material in the middle.

10. Danielle D says:

This was a great Pro/Con list for me, without the bullet points, which is nice to see! Very helpful.

11. We do prefolds, and reserve our few pockets for nighttime double-stuffing. Love the idea of fitteds, but not the cost (or covering up the cute).

12. Leela R. says:

I have a heavy wetter and so like fitteds for overnight, but my LO is also really sensitive to wetness, so I have to use a micro fleece liner as well. All in all I’m pro-fitteds and have 5 in my stash along with a bunch of wool covers.

13. Sarah Pielhop says:

I use a contoured bamboo diaper with a snappy and a cover. Our little girl is happy and dry when she wakes up in the morning!

14. Jessica Hughes says:

New to cloth diapering and this was very helpful!

I don’t use fitteds for day time as the 2 layers are too much work for me but I LOVE them for night.

16. Tracy Adler says:

I have been on the fence about using fitteds because of the moisture not wicking away from the skin, and the need to use a cover. I might use them for around the house without a cover, but I’m just not sure yet.

17. Carrie Martinet says:

I used something kind of hybrid: Green Acres Designs makes a semi-fitted. It is fleece/stay dry stuff on the inside and hemp on the outside, and is stuffable. I use those suckers for totally bullet-proof night diapering (charcoal insert plus hemp insert). I have a tummy sleeping boy who nurses through the night and pees like a racehorse, lol.

18. Nicole Bear says:

I am on the fence, like you. I don’t like that the whole thing is wet and that by morning the pee is touching my daughter’s skin over a larger area, and her whole bottom and waist are wet and clammy. I guess adding a stay dry layer is something I should try. I also find that the few I have are already seeming pretty snug on my 7 month old daughter, and they are supposed to be one-size, so I don’t know how much longer they will fit her. I do love that they are so absorbent that they last through the night, when some other nighttime solutions I have tried have failed.

19. Vanessa V. says:

I guess I am on the fence too, they are very absorbent but I can’t seem to get past the fact that my daughter will have the wetness touching her skin directly, she gets rashes easily if she stays wet for a while. But a stay dry insert would help with that. I also like my diapers simple and easy and I think it would add more work than needed with a fitted, stay-dry insert and a cover. Maybe for a smaller baby like you said but my toddler would not stay put for all that. Guess I’ll try fitted on my next baby.

20. Rachel A. says:

I agree, it sucks covering them up. I have one and I’m about to sell it because i hate putting on a diaper twice like you said. waste of time.

21. Rachelle Betow says:

I’ve never used a fitted. I’ve used everything else though. Haven’t been interested because of the price and all your “non awesome” reasons have occured to me as well. I thought the idea of diapering twice wasn’t a good idea and I had an overnight solution that worked for us and that is really the only reason I would use the fitteds.

22. Audrey Yarbrough says:

I’ve never used fitted. This was a great review for me. I am in the process of building a stash of cloth diapers for my next baby due in Sept. I have been considering the fitted diapers, but some of the sites are confusing as to whether or not they will need a separate cover. Do all fitted diapers require a cover?

• It depends. If it’s a hybrid fitted, it’s water resistant, but not water proof. A lot of moms use those without covers and change when the diaper feels damp. The hybrid fitted has a hidden layer of fleece, which is designed to repell the moisture back into the diaper’s absorbent layers. It’ll get damp on the outside when it’s time to change.

I found that a straight fitted would just get wet.

23. Ashley Feit says:

I’ve used Thirsties Fab Fitteds which do have a stay dry layer, which helps with that part and for a while that was our “main” diaper. We still have a few that I like to use for coverless time, but I don’t think I would ever do fitteds again as my only diaper type because it became a wrestling match putting a fitted AND a cover on.

24. I have not used them and am not sure I would choose to get one. I enjoy the simplicity of pocket diapers. Though I heard you can use the bumgenius 4.0 for a cover over fitteds and if that is the case I wouldn’t mind giving them a go. But it just seems like more to buy, cover and liners.

25. Amanda S. says:

I think this type of information can give a momma a push in the right direction. Fitted diapers can cause many more headaches than a mother, or baby are looking for. Sitting in urine can cause a mother to spend more money not just on new diapers that do wick moisture from the baby’s skin, but also on rash cream or other products to rid the child of a rash. No momma wants to see their baby in pain! Great review and thank you for sharing!

26. Diana Weese says:

I love my fitteds! Thats pretty much all I use. Yes I do have some pockets though I rarely use them and have gotten rid of many. I also do have some aio from the same brand of fitteds I use. (Goodmamas) I love my aio/2s for when going out and about. I love that the fitteds are breathable for sensitive skin. I do not cover while at home, I just change when he starts to get damp on the outside. I hated that with pockets I could not tell when he was wet easily which led to timed changes that sometimes led to him being red from being wet without notice or changing a dry diaper. O.o The cute prints are so much fun! My son and his older sister love to take turns picking out what will go on his bum next. 😉

27. Courtney says:

I can see why fitted diapers seem like extra work and a bit of a waste. I havent started CDing yet (Due in Oct!) but I am very interested in using fitteds for the majority of my diapers because they seem to be the most effective after doing my research. We will see how it goes!

28. Colleen says:

I am putting my stash together this summer for my baby due October 8th. I think I am going to have 4-6 fitteds to give them a try. I like your idea about the additional insert. Other reviews have said that fitteds are a good overnight option for newborns, so I was wondering if you had found that as well?

29. I actually don’t have any fitteds but I’ve heard such great things about the absorbancy that I would love to try them, just never got the chance. I already use prefolds and covers so a fitted and cover doesn’t seem like too much extra work.

30. Darlene Ysaguirre says:

My daughter also dosent take long for her to get a rash at all thats why i tend to stay away from the fitted.

31. flyberd says:

I have 13 fitteds in my stash… and can’t quite figure out what the big deal is. I mean, I like them… but I don’t get why the extra work? And why are they so expensive? Just seems like more work to me… I prefer my AIO’s more.

32. Meg Michelle Greenan Liani says:

No fitted diapers in my stash, as I’m new to cloth diapering… What a great idea to use a liner or insert in-between to prevent rashes!! 🙂 Good point about diapering twice with a cover! That’s annoying!! 😛

33. Anne Sweden says:

I have learned to love fitteds, although they don’t make up the majority of my stash. You’re right, the absorbency is amazing. In fact, some of those super thirsty, squishy hybrids don’t really even need a cover if you change after a few hours.

34. Kristyn says:

I’m not a fan of fitteds. I don’t like that the WHOLE diaper gets wet, even with a stay dry liner. They are super absorbent, just not for me. ,

35. L Stephens says:

Love the absorbency of a fitted for overnight in our house.

36. We have always used fitted because that is what our diaper service uses. I can see how some other options may work better but I don’t mind them at all.

37. Jennifer Marohn says:

I’ve never used fitteds, and would love to see how they work. I would have to have another kid though. LOL

38. Meredeth B says:

For the same reasons You wrote here, I did not want to try fitteds. I bought one Thirsties Fab Fitted to satisfy my curiosity and I have really loved it- I am getting more!

Before I was worried about fitteds not having a stay dry lining, but Thirsties does and I have liked that.

I worried about the drying time, but now I actually like that I can throw my fitted in the dryer with other inserts fo and prefolds and not worry about any PUL (like I would a pocket or AIO. Granted, I hang dry all my PUL anyways, but I liked being able to put the diaper in the dryer).

Some say it’s bulky, but my fitted is more trim than my pockets are.

As for the cute factor, I like that I can pick 2 covers that will match an outfit for the entire day and not worry what the fitted looks like underneath. Then no matter how many changes, the cover still matches my baby’s outfit all day. I think that’s better than the many different diapers you go through in one day that don’t always match a cute outfit!

So although I started out as not wanting any fitteds at all, now I want a lot of them!

39. Shannon says:

I use all fitteds + PUL covers. They are pricier than prefolds, but I prefer the way they fit. I’m looking for durability and I don’t like the idea of putting covers through the dryer. For the places I am buying cloth diapers, AIOs, AI2s, and pockets are definitely more expensive than fitteds + a few covers. If I’m in a situation where my LO will be sitting in a wet diaper for a while, I can use a stay dry liner; otherwise, I just make sure to change him when he’s wet. (I thought one of the advantages of cloth diapers was that they can feel when they’re wet and so potty training goes more quickly/happens earlier?)

I don’t find them overly bulky; my overnight diapers (Mother-Ease Sandy’s Large for my 2 yo) are moderately bulky, but I don’t have to add any extra layers to it to have no overnight leaks, whereas I hear people talking about adding doublers and inserts etc. to be able to get no leaks overnight. My daytime diapers (ME one size) are bulkier than disposables, but I can still use the same pants with him in them as I use when he wears disposables, so they’re not terribly bulky. The ME OS take less than an hour to dry in the drier; the large Sandy’s need an hour. The covers dry hanging up in a couple of hours.

I don’t find it a big deal to snap on two diapers at a diaper change; it’s a trade-off in time against fussing with inserts before and after the change. It’s definitely not doing the whole diapering process twice. If I’m really concerned about wiggling, I lay the new diaper in the cover, lay the kid on the diaper, snap on the fitted, and then snap on the cover. It just takes a few seconds more. For an older kid, pull on covers are nice. I’ve snapped up a fitted, put a pull on cover over it, and put the whole thing on like underwear/training pants.

I don’t get the issue with the “cute” fitted diaper being covered up. I never hear about people being sad about their inserts being covered up, or not being able to see the absorbent inner of their AIOs. I have multicoloured fitteds, because they look cheerful all stacked up/hanging to dry, and for the times when the kid goes coverless, and they cost the same as the plain white, so why not go for colourful? 🙂 I have multicoloured covers because they are cheerful and cute, but I put clothes over them, too. It seems unfair to dislike covering up cute fitteds when you wouldn’t have that cuteness in the first place with the absorbent part of AIO, AI2, or pocket diapers. Personally, I compare the cute outside of AIOs etc. to the cute covers.

Obviously, it comes down to personal preference. There are trade offs everywhere. Personally, I don’t find the cons listed here to really represent my experience with fitteds; they cons weren’t an issue for me.

• *grins* I have a no cute insert rule. In reality, *I* don’t find the two layers of snapping to be an issue, but that guy I married does. Some kids need stay dry so that they don’t rash up right away. My daughter is one of those.

40. Shannon says:

Oh my — I think my comment is longer than the original article. Sorry! Apparently I’m chatty today, lol.

1. […] Check out this little cutie!  It looks like that’s one delicious thumb in the mouth and a fluffy diaper on the bum.  He’s wearing a Bumboo fitted diaper. […]