Is This the Beginning of Preschool Bullying?

The other day, I took Norton to the Prince George Forestry and Railway Museum for a preschool field trip.  He loves trains, so I was just thrilled to take him to the museum.  The only thing that disappointed me is that I’d planned on having a family outing to the museum at some point in the summer.  At least, that was the only thing that disappointed me….  Right up until I caught what might be the beginning of preschool bullying.

Is This the Beginning of Preschool Bullying? (Cloth Diaper Addicts)When we were getting Norton out of the van, another little girl was getting out of the van next to us.  A little girl looked at Norton and said to her own mommy, “Norton is weird.  He doesn’t use a lot of words.”  It was said with all the contempt that a preschool girl could muster.

I was crushed.  Norton had come so far in dealing with his toddler language delay.  I was just so proud of my little boy.  To hear that little girl make those comments broke my heart.  I wanted to close the van door and drive away with my little boy safe inside, and never look back.

The little girl’s mother handled it the best possible way while I bit my own tongue.  Her mother said mildly, “He’s little.  When you were little, you didn’t use a lot of words, either.”

I hope that nipped it in the bud.  But even though I’d hoped that was the end of the matter, I couldn’t help but wonder if this was the beginning of Norton experiencing some sort of bullying.  In the beginning, he loved preschool, but lately he hasn’t always wanted to go.  Now I can’t help but wonder if there’s some sort of bullying problem that I’m not aware of and that Norton isn’t verbal enough to express.  Or maybe I’m projecting because I remember the special hell of schoolyard bullying from my own childhood.  And I remember my own preschool bullying being my first experience with being picked on… and that it was sanctioned by the preschool management.

Have you ever wondered if your child was experiencing preschool bullying?  How did you handle it?

Comments

1. I think the little girl was just too young to know better. And I think her mom’s response was perfect. 🙂

2. Heather Johnson says:

I think the mother handled the situation well. I would also encourage Norton to embrace his individuality, “weirdness” and all. After all, the “weird” ones are the ones that often end up on top. Think Einstein.

3. Emily Anne Ploch says:

Hopefully that was all and he’s not being bullied!

4. It’s sad how young bullying starts. Before becoming a sahm I was a preschool teacher and dealt with it on a first hand basis. There were some kids that were just mean and ring leaders and all the modeling and behavior management in the world had little to no effect on those few.

5. Katherine says:

Aww that really stinks and hopefully that wont happen again. My daughter started a new preschool and has come home and said she’s been pushed, pinched and it’s only been a few weeks. I just keep trying to reinforce how she handles them and I’ve already spoken to the teacher. Not sure what parents are teaching (or not teaching) their children but I’m amazed it starts so young.

6. Sofia Byrd says:

I think the little girls is just too young to truly understand or know how to filter her thoughts. Her mom handled the situation as best as she could. I truly hope there is nothing else going on at your son’s class.

7. Sometimes little kids just don’t have the proper vocabulary to express themselves.. and they are in that stage where they’re very self centered. I would brush it off!

8. Rebecca Ingham says:

I, too, think the way the mom handled it was great. I was also bullied and know I probably project it a little bit too, but it doesn’t hurt to at least be aware of it. Just work on keeping communication open between you and him, in whatever manner that may be, so he knows he can come to you when he needs to.

9. Mum's the Word says:

perhaps they are really too young…

1. […] don’t tend to experience too much adult bullying, but that’s only because I experienced bullying as a child and learned to stand up for myself.  I will not tolerate being treated badly because someone […]