Biting Toddler Gets Sharp!

I’ve had a headbutting toddler.  I’ve had a hitting toddler.  I’ve never had a biting toddler.  At least, not until now.

Eudora, as sweet and precious as she is, has clearly become a biter.  It kind of shocked me.

For the first biting toddler incident, we were over at a friend’s house.  Eudora and little Sonia were sitting on a blanket together eating berries… and Sonia complained.  Nikki looked surprised and said, “I think Eudora bit her?”  Neither of us were actually sure… but I couldn’t imagine Eudora actually biting someone.

Biting Toddler Gets Sharp! (Cloth Diaper Addicts)I figured out pretty quickly that it was entirely possible that Eudora had bitten Sonia.  Actually, it was pretty probable.  When I was changing her, she got annoyed and bit my arm.  I was not a happy camper.  I’m raising a baby girl, not a baby piranha.  I yelled ouch, and she didn’t let go.  I had tooth marks on my arm.  Since then, we’ve had other incidents where Eudora tried to bite me, and they were always out of frustration.

There was only one time that she bit when I thought it was kind of justified: she bit Norton after he hit her.  I had to pry her little teeth off of his arm… and then I had two wailing children on the couch.  (Okay, so I wasn’t thrilled that she bit him… but considering how much he beats her up, I can’t blame her for retaliating.)

Since then, I’ve had some success with getting her to stop biting.  But it’s minimal, and it’s only when she tries to bite me: I can tell when she’s trying to bite on the changing table.  If I tell her “no bite,” she stops.  The only downside is that I’ve told her “no bite” when she’s tried to plant random kisses on me.  I hate missing out on crazy baby girl kisses because I don’t want to get bitten.

Have you ever dealt with a biting toddler in your family?  How did you handle it?

Comments

1. Valan Kornhaus says:

Can’t say that I’ve had a biter, but I’ve heard it’s a way of expressing emotions. Maybe defense against siblings? Or attention-seeking from you? My daughter licks me sometimes. Good luck!

• I know that when she bites me, it’s because she’s frustrated. And I know when she bit Norton (who, really, kinda had it coming), it was done in self-defense. But we’ve got to nip that in the bud.

2. Renae C. says:

Yikes! A biting toddler is NOT fun, and I should know! don’t worry, it is just a phase, and it will pass. 😉

3. My 2 yr old bites and spits. I am thinking he is doing it because of sensory issues now but I have no idea how to correct it.

4. Michelle Ferguson says:

I haven’t had a biter yet but my 4 year old was a hitter for a while. It’s no fun to deal with. Hope things get better and the biting stops!

5. Shannon says:

Oh boy! We haven’t dealt with this issue *yet*. Whenever he hits or kicked we remind him to have gentle feet and hands and that hitting hurts. Don’t know if something similar could work for biting?

6. Indypassionlady says:

Neither of my boys were biters but I have dealt with biters when I did daycare. A lot of toddlers bite without any sort of health issue. Sometimes it’s out of frustration, or anger… Mostly it’s the desire to satisfy a need but without the verbal skills to express it. Lots of luck and just stand your ground.

7. Nicole Copeland says:

My daughter would bit me when she was teething..It was so bad there was teeth marks on her crib and toddler bed…but as soon as the tooth would come in she would stop

8. cat @ tots says:

My latest little guy does bite on occasion, not out of anger, somehow, just out of ‘play’, like he will be snuggling and then bite my arm. Like you said, I don’t want to miss out on snuggles, but I need my arm!

9. Ouch. I remember my little sister biting me when she was young.. Felt her teeth go straight through me.. It was a phase that thankfully lasted only for some bites!

10. Alyca Green says:

When my daughter was about 2, my best friend’s daughter and her got into a phase where they started biting each other. It was really horrible and we didn’t even want to hang out together for fear that one of our toddlers would go home with a circular bruise of teeth marks. I don’t think we had any great strategy other than telling them not to do it. They learned pretty quickly to stop since they both realized how much it hurt.

11. Sounds serious, I hope you find something that works for you.

12. Karen Beckett says:

My daughter was also a biter. Nearly made me cry a few times when she bit me very hard. I was sort of frustrated but she eventually stopped. It will work out…patience, Mom!

13. Anne Sweden says:

None of my children have bitten, but my little sister did it twice to me out of anger when we were growing up. I tattled (of course) and she got an I-mean-business spanking from my mother. After those 2 episodes, she never did it again. Hope I don’t have to deal with this.