Parenting Goals for Summer 2013

Summer is here, and it’s beautiful out.  Now that it’s finally nice enough to do things outside with the kids, it’s definitely time to get my summer parenting goals in order.  I’d like to think that these parenting goals will somehow magically make me a better parent… but the reality is, these goals will do nothing more than have me focus more on my babies.  Maybe that’s the definition of being a better parent, but it’s not about me.  It’s about making sure my littles have an awesome childhood to remember.

Summer 2013 Parenting Goals

1.) A playdate a week

I’m a little anti social.  Now that I’m super busy with our local cloth diapering community, though, I’m making more friends… and these friends have children.  Hopefully, we can continue to meet out at a local park once a week so that our littles can run around and play.

2.) Increased storytime!

Lately, Norton has been all about watching Disney/Pixar movies.  I’d like to spend less time with the TV on (even if it’s just “background noise”) and more time reading stories together.  Storytime three days a week, while not as awesome as Heather’s five times a week, is much better than the “whenever Norton brings me a book” that we’ve been doing.

Parenting Goals Summer 2013 (Cloth Diaper Addicts)3.) Arts and crafts

I’m not a crafty person, but Norton loved arts and crafts time at language playgroup last year.  He got a great kick out of it during preschool, too.  It’s time to make new finger paints, roll out the craft paper, and let Norton and Eudora go nuts.  I’m shooting for an arts and crafts time one day a week.  What’s the point of Pinterest if not to find cool stuff to do with the spawn?

4.) Park time!

While Prince George may be lousy for shopping, it’s fantastic for the outdoors.  There are three parks within walking distance of our house.  Actually, there’s one right across the street.  At least one day a week, we will make it to a park so that Norton can run around and play.

Those are my parenting goals for this summer.  Do you have any parenting goals of your own?

Comments

1. My daughter and I have a goal of reading at least 5 books a week so that she can complete her summer reading program. We are well on our way!

2. Mum's the word says:

I have that same goal to have increased story time!! All the best!!

3. Renée Chapman says:

we need more storytime too! I have been so busy 🙁 cant wait for vacation!

4. Similar to you! More reading, more playdates 😉 Good thing we live close to each other!

5. Lauren S. says:

I like this idea, especially unlimited time before you. I do this subconsciously, as I know my little guy will get SUPER grumpy if we go more than a day without going for a walk (and I need the exercise)!

6. great goals for summer. We definitely need to back off the tv and do more reading. 🙂

7. Kelsey Apley says:

Love this, we don’t have any kiddo’s but we have lots of nieces and nephews! It is fun to make time to spend time iwth them and have fun!! Great idea’s!!!

8. Sharon L says:

We plan on taking more day trips 🙂

9. Great goals! My little boy has started to enjoy tracing letters and numbers so writing is high on our priority for summer vacation. Good luck to us!

10. Mindy May Farmer says:

Fantastic goals! A big one for me is to get off the computer and play outside more. 🙂

• Shannon Stubbs says:

Do you find that hard to do? I will be all set to go outside, and then the kids will say they want to play with whatever they are playing with, so then I sit down at the computer. I am trying so hard to shut it until nap time, but don’t always stick to it.

11. These are great goals. I’m trying to ton down the TV too. I don’t even want it on in the background.

12. Great goals! And they are quite manageable, nothing impossible to do!

13. Shannon Stubbs says:

I keep saying we are going to the park more often, but that requires packing up the kids in order to get to one. We live out in the country and there isn’t a park nearby. We do however try to do “nature” art projects. We paint the sidewalk with pine needles, Pinecones, rocks, leaves, whatever we find. We do live just a mile or so from the wildlife refuge though and there are a lot of fun, kid friendly activities we like to do.

• As long as there’s outside playtime, that’s what matters! (I didn’t go to the park, either, as a kid. Why bother? We had an entire neighborhood to play in.)

14. Melanie S. says:

I love this time of year because it means we get to go to parks more often. It’s such a great way to let the kids have some fun and meet other children.

15. Lexie Lane says:

These are all really great! I take my little guy to Gymboree which helps so much too, but these are definitely all the ones we do throughout the week!

16. I also have playdate for daughter she needs it to keep social!

17. Reading more with the grandchildren, attending a few blog events.

18. Leah Mchan says:

Yeah, I need to read more to my kids and bring them to playgrounds/parks too. I guess. those are my 2 parenting goals

19. Regina Malloy says: