Preschool Potty Training – I’m Clueless

I have to admit, I have no clue what I’m doing when it comes to preschool potty training.  We were almost there… except for the pooping thing.  Then, of course, there was the whole potty training progress being completely undone.  The day before yesterday, I was ready to cry uncle.  I was done.  I’d decided to just give in and accept the fact that Norton would wear diapers until university.

I was tired of everything being a fight.Preschool Potty Training - I'm Clueless (Cloth Diaper Addicts)

I know that part of the frustration with preschool potty training is that Norton just plain does not care if he’s wet.  Or if he’s poopy.  Or if he stinks.  It’s kind of funny: last summer, if Norton fell in the dirt, he’d cry for me to come help him up.  He didn’t want to touch the ground and get dirty.  Now?  He has become such a boy that he could roll in the sewer and not really care.  That had more than a small amount of impact on his lack of interest in preschool potty training.

I wasn’t sure what to do.  I tried getting him to to potty.  However, he managed to hold his bladder for eight freaking hours.  I was beyond done.  I threw my hands up in the air and put him back in a diaper.

Then there was yesterday.  I pulled his overnight diaper off with minimal fighting.  He ran around naked and went potty.  He went outside and played in clothes and underwear.  No accidents.  He actually told me “pee pee potty!” a couple of times.  We had exactly one accident the entire day.  And that was with him wearing underwear some of the time.

I’m not going to declare that we have suddenly mastered preschool potty training.  It is, however, a good start.  I’ll take it.  I’m hoping that today will be even better.  (And I find it interesting that he decides to cooperate when I’ve decided to just give up.)

How long did it take for your little to have potty training down pat?

Comments

1. They learn in their own time and when they are ready.

2. I do think it’s totally ironic when kiddos decide to give it another go right when we happen to give up. It’s there little way of giving us hope 😉 He’ll get it! I have never potty trained a boy, so I honestly don’t think I can have any opinion on boy potty training – but both of my girls were pretty young since I had a newborn and I definitely didn’t want two in diapers!

3. Sarah McKelvy says:

My daughter is still potty training. My approach is to let her lead the way.

4. Roechelle says:

My potty training days were easy. I feared it at first because of the horror stories I heard from potty training friends but my daughter grasp the concept and made my job a breeze.

5. The Girlchild was easily bribed with chocolate chips. 1 for peeing, 2 for pooping. Then we did a potty dance and were basically ridiculously stupid about each success. The whole process took about 6 months, and there were plenty of setbacks along the way. Ugh. I am not looking forward to potty training again

6. Potty training my first son, like with most things regarding him, had to be led by him. I tried to train him and he sure wasn’t taking my lead. When he was ready, he was ready. We had accidents during the day, of course, but they were minimal. No accidents at night, though. He decided he was ready at age 3 and we never looked back.

7. Lalaine Hagler says:

I am not looking forward to doing this, I know its going to be a battle with my son. Thank you for your post coz you are mentally preparing me for me.

8. I am not looking forward to potty training. It’ll happen eventually,mama! Hang in there.

9. Emily Murray de Argueta says:

I basically potty trained Gabi in a week shortly after she turned three. I waited until she was clearly ready and interested and then bribed her with chocolate! She got a bite sized candy bar when she successfully used her potty. We started on Saturday by buying our big girl panties. Sunday, I tried using pull-ups which was a total failure. Monday, I put her in panties. She had three or four accidents but I basically just had her change and reminded her that she was a big girl and big girls used the potty and left it at that. Tuesday morning she had one accident but after that she peed in the potty. It took until Friday to get her to poop in the potty but apparently that was due to a misunderstanding. She didn’t realize that she was supposed to poop in her potty apparently. Once we got that straightened out she was golden. She had only had one accident since then (that was April) and it was my fault. She told me she needed to go and I didn’t listen to her.

You have a strong willed little one there! I potty trained my oldest in a week before he turned 2. He has an easygoing personality though so it really wasn’t too hard. He thought it was fun and caught on pretty quickly. My second son is spirited, ha ha. He turned 2 in May and I am just letting him lead the way after a couple days of serious frustration of me trying to train him. He now poops in the potty every morning and occasionally will pee in the potty but he still wears diapers. I am just going to let him do it in his own time because that’s how he does everything in his life:)

11. Colleen Oleary says:

I am sorry but your post made me laugh and thank God those days are over although I have a feeling my daughter and grandson may still be with us at that point and I will do it all over again!. I have 4 of my own – 3 boys and once I figured out it was a power plat the training was much easier. For the boys I had them follow their dad and male cousins into the bathroom. After meals and at various times during the day I would say lets go target shooting and we would go into the bathroom and try to aim and “shoot” a couple of Cheerios. Success was rewarded with 1 or 2 M&Ms or my youngest preferred stickers. They were in training pants and would have to clean # 1 up on their own including rinsing the pants in the sink and putting in a pail from the dollar store and putting on a new pair. Poop I would assist in the clean up. Everything was matter of fact and within 2-4 weeks SUCCESS! My daughter was easy. My friend had given me a frou frou dance costume from her daughter that she wanted and I told her only big girls who used the potty could have such a dress and within 2 days we were done! Good luck!!!!!

12. Bekah Kuczenski says:

We started working on potty training a little while ago with our 2 year old. However, due to my own fears I have not been consistent. If we leave the house I put a diaper on my daughter for fear of accidents. She does great without a diaper, but as soon as a diaper is on she uses it…. I do have a week off of work coming up and I want to get rid of diapers!! We are going to do it!

13. Ashleigh Swerdfeger says:

Potty training seems to be such a varied experience. I haven’t started with my son yet, but I would like to get a potty seat. He likes to take off his diaper when wet. I don’t want to start too early though. It seems to me, most people start around 2. It is definitely something to take your time with and be respectful about.