Social Media Bullying and Blog Stalking

I’ve realized a few things since I’ve been a mommy blogger.  The biggest thing that I’m starting to realize is about adult bullying as it relates to blog stalking.  I joke with some of my closest friends that I’m blog stalking them because I read the vast majority of their blog posts.  But sometimes, blog stalking is really used just to help someone continue a social media bullying campaign.  What’s interesting is that social media bullying extends across all networks.  Passive aggressive pins even show up.

I’m watching a friend experience it right now.  I’m very proud of her for how she’s reacting to the campaign of bullying.  She’s keeping herself above the fray and deleting this person’s snide comments.  She’s ignoring the passive aggressive swipes that this person is taking at her through her own blog.  She refuses to rise to the social media bullying bait that this person is throwing at her.Social Media Bullying and Blog Stalking (Cloth Diaper Addicts)

This campaign of social media bullying is bordering on creepy (or, as another friend joked, “boiled bunny territory”), but my friend is staying strong.  She’s taking the steps that she can to safe guard her family against this lunacy and is beginning to not let this bullying stop her from having the online fun that she wants to have.

The biggest thing, though, is that she refuses to sacrifice her own integrity by becoming what this bully has become.

What I’m finding amazing, though, is that this has been going on for over a year.  It’s becoming increasingly deranged, and this person is becoming increasingly obsessed with my friend and obtaining some sort of reaction.

Our entire little circle is sort of creeped out by this.  But, seriously, though, my friend must be one extremely important person.  Otherwise this other person wouldn’t devote so much time to attempting to harass her.  If my friend was just a little bit less important, then maybe this other person would devote her energy to her own family instead of adult cyberbullying and blog stalking my friend.

As annoying as it is, though, what more can she do than ignore it?

Have you ever had someone use social media to bully you or stalk you?  How did you handle it?

Originally written on June 21, 2011 for What to Expect.  I’m still seeing social media bullying among adults.  It’s ridiculous but true.  The latest I’ve seen is “green enough” bullying… and it’s just as stupid as every other reason for adult bullying.

Comments

1. I have seen some nasty comments around the web and clearly people do need o get a life when they feel they can turn any slightest into so much negativity!

2. Thankfully I have not ever had to deal with bullying as a blogger personally – but I have seen it happen more than once. Such a shame. Imagine how incredibly productive the blogging world would become if the negativity died out!

3. Spit Up is in Style says:

I’ve seen it happen and I’ve been bullied after commenting on a Facebook thread just sharing my opinion. It’s sad that people hide behind their computers and make fun/act all tough. It’s hurtful.

4. Jaime Weis says:

This DEFINITELY happens, and thank you for addressing it! I had to leave a mommy group because one of the members was harrassing me (and I don’t use the word lightly) over my birthing choices….funny thing is, she was all peace and love until you decided to do something differently than she did!!! It was ridiculous, hurtful, and it was disgusting to see her be such a hypocrite. Bullying has to stop!!!

5. Brynn Arego says:

That is such a shame 🙁 I hope it stops for her. I’ve thankfully not had to deal with it and I hope I never do.

6. It’s amazing how gutsy and aggressive people can be when they’re hiding behind a computer screen. It’s downright scary sometimes!

7. Wow, just wow. A year of tolerating constant harassment would take its toll on anyone. Kudos to your friend for staying dignified.

8. Alicia Owen says:

Cyber bullying is lame enough (what is this, high school?)…but for over a year??? That WOULD be creepy.

9. Tiffany DeOs says:

How horrible for your friend! Praying it all gets worked out and she continues to stand strong.

10. Bullying must stop either online or not, we don’t want to see people get hurt. Glad there are organization (anti-bullying) out there that push this kind of act.

11. Melanie says:

wow, that’s scary! I have never had to deal w/it personally but I know it happens. I hope it all gets worked out w/your friend. I can’t believe she’s dealt with it for over a year. Does she feel threatened?

12. I was stalked… I ended up leaving the Facebook world for sometime. Came back with new account and so far …. so good.

13. Internet people are crazy. And I just ignore the crazies. The ban and block buttons are priceless.

Wow, that is just so strange! Some people really need to get a life.

15. Jutta Pearce says:

This just seems so odd to me. If you don’t like what someone is saying on their blog, don’t follow it. It seems that simple. There must be a million and one other blogs out there that you would probably enjoy.

16. Ironically I am dealing with this right now. People have been stealing my *profile pictures* off my personal Facebook and making fake accounts. I had a whole blog written about me where I could not defend myself because the blogger made me look like the bad guy. I get hateful Facebook messages. I was even threatened. The girl said she was going to come to my house and beat my face because I don’t do things the same way she does them. It’s so funny how.bullying is right in front of your face. And even funnier how bullies can seem to admit they are one. They only want to blame the others around them. I’ve seen one bully post statuses on Facebook about this person she doesn’t even KNOW outside Facebook. Laughing at how funny it is to “troll” them. Its a sad existence and I’m so tired of seeing it. I personally think bullies are you super desperate for attention. Like they need to find a group of people to accept them even if they are hateful to others in the process.

17. Hah I need to learn to proofread…can’t * seem to admit and not you super desperate but just super seperste. That’s what I get for phone commenting.

1. […] those who are experiencing some sort of adult bullying online, here’s an absolutely wonderful quote that just might help you stand firm in not giving […]