Why Use Cloth Diapers?

I love cloth diapers.  I do.  I love talking about them, using them, buying more of them, and educating others about them.  There’s nothing more fun than explaining to another mom who is on the fence why I use cloth diapers.  Sometimes she decides that she wants to use cloth diapers too.

The other day, I found a question on a message board I hang out on.  This mom was thinking about using cloth diapers but wanted to know why those of us who use cloth diapers use them instead of disposables.

I was more than happy to answer that question.

We use cloth diapers for a number of reasons.  The first thing that attracted me to cloth diapers was that it would be a cheaper method of diapering.  And one set of diapers can be used on multiple children and then sold as used diapers when finished.

Another reason for using cloth diapers is for environmental reasons.  Really, it doesn’t matter how biodegradable whatever you throw in the landfills might be… it still doesn’t decompose because it’s just not a friendly environment for decomposition.  It just sits there in ever growing heaps and smells.  I loved the idea of putting less in the landfill.

I found the reduction of diaper rashes and the faster potty training to be a pretty good selling point, too.  In the last year of cloth diapering, I’ve found that it’s also just plain fun to buy new cloth diapers and try new things, too.

What other reasons do I have for using cloth diapers?  Well, the simple fact is that they are just wicked cute.  Really, disposable diapers aren’t fun or cute at all.  They’re just… well, the infant equivalent to plain white granny panties.  Sure, they do the job, but they don’t do the job with any fashion or flair.  In order to have a put-together looking child, you’ve got to cover those things up!

Why Use Cloth Diapers? (Cloth Diaper Addicts)

You don’t find this kind of cute in a disposable.

I love cloth diapers for the variety.  Cloth diapers come in pretty darn near every color of the rainbow, and there are some amazing prints and colors that you won’t find in the rainbow, too.  This actually makes me feel a little better about the fact that I don’t like to put pants on Norton at home; it’s easier to put him on the potty in a hurry if he’s just wearing a diaper.  And I don’t feel like I’m letting my kid run around unkempt if he’s in a colorful diaper that matches his shirt.  I feel like the occasional disposable diaper that we do use needs to be covered up so that my kid doesn’t look like a neglected walking disaster.  (Yes, I know it’s weird, and no, I’m not suggesting that anyone who lets their kid wander in just a disposable diaper has committed some kind of failing.)

Do you use cloth diapers?  What was your reasoning for going cloth?

Originally written July 11, 2011 for What to Expect.

Updated: In the two years since I’ve written this, the occasional disposable diaper no longer happens.  We’ve gone exclusively cloth and love it!

Comments

1. Tiffany DeOs says:

I can so relate!! And your last one about feeling okay letting them run around in a shirt and just a cute diaper is so true!! Mine are sporting that look right now. 🙂

2. Sheila Worthington says:

I like cloth diaper i think it is better than disposable diaper but I never get to use one. Husband and I are more comfrtable using the disposable, I guess we are kind of lazy cleaning after the mess. I like all the different color and designs of cloth diaper though

• Did you know that you’re actually not supposed to throw out solid waste in your disposables? You’re actually supposed to flush them because the bacteria can leach into the groundwater?

3. Christie says:

They do look super cute on your little girl! Pink!

4. I love cloth because cloth is cheaper, cloth is cuter, cloth is greener, and cloth is easier.

5. Michelle Ferguson says:

We initially started using cloth diapers for the savings but now I do it not only because it saves us money, but because it is better for my baby and the environment!

6. Bethany Grannan says:

I love my cloth diapers! We are considering doing cloth from day 1 for baby #2 someday 🙂

7. shirley carr says:

Gonna try it with our new baby.

8. Heather Swarthout says:

I had never used cloth diapers until my daughter was a few months old and I finally decided to try them, especially when she got a bad rash from her teething. I also wasn’t that smart about them.. meaning, I was never told how to use them other than safety pinning them on and then that was it. So, of course, no one told me that having rubber diaper covering or something over the diaper is what kept them from leaking through. So the first night was definitely not the best for me, let’s just say I learned!

9. natalie nichols says:

We didn’t use cloth diapers with our first because we have to go down 3 flights of stairs and across the yard to do our laundry, and then we have to pay 3.00 per load. We are looking forward to cloth diapering with our next baby though. Thanks for the tips.

10. Jessica M says:

Didn’t use cloth diapers with my 1st, but def plan with baby #2.. They’re cheaper, easier, more comfortable and greener!!

11. Kate Strycker says:

Used to use disposables. No more kids for me, but I use cloth pads now, and I’m glad I did! Very environmentally friendly.

12. i super love cloth diapers! my 2 year old princess are still using them 🙂 Economical, environment friendly and hip! just love those designs and colors!

13. Indypassionlady says:

My kids are 16 and 13 and there are many things I wish I did when they were babies – one was using cloth diapers.

14. krystle gluck says:

im starting to use cloth diapers and this is a great resource as a beginner 🙂

I started using cloth for the money saving aspect BUT that’s gone out the window now, ha ha. Now I use them because they are SO cute.

16. Vicki Hall says:

I started using them for environmental reasons . Then I got hooked on the cuteness of them