Cloth Diapering is a Go! (A Throwback Post)

I love finding these old throwback posts, back when cloth diapering was still shiny and new.  Before Norton was even born I was quite certain that cloth diapering was what I wanted.  My husband was less certain, but he did come around.

Using Cloth Diapers is a Go! (Cloth Diaper Addicts)

Little baby Norton is modeling one of those original FuzziBunz we started out with!

I now officially have every single thing that I need for cloth diapering Norton.  I just got my last order of cloth diapering supplies in.  One thing that I love about ordering from a local distributor: she delivers it to your house free of charge while she’s out and about running errands.  Plus, supporting local businesses over big box stores is always cool.

I am now the proud owner of a total of nineteen FuzziBunz one size diapers.  However, I am also a smart owner, so I will only wash one diaper as a test run before Norton comes home.  We’ll use it and see how we like it.  If I absolutely hate cloth diapering and figure out that it’s not going to work for me, I can return the unwashed and still packaged cloth diapering supplies to my distributor for a refund.  I have a pack of size one disposables just to be on the safe side.

I’ve got two rolls of Bummis diaper liners, so I can neatly dispose of Norton poo without scraping or spraying.  Ick.  And because I’m not terribly crunchy by nature, I got a massive box of baby wipes when they were on sale.  I have the diaper pail.  I have the drawstring liner for the diaper pail so that I have a convenient way of stashing Norton’s diapers until they are washed.  And I have a wet bag to stash in the diaper bag for diaper changes on the go.  And I have the extra liners to stuff in his diapers at night to prevent floods.

I have the diaper cream (which shouldn’t affect the absorption of the cloth diapers since I’ll have that barrier of the flushable diaper liner between Norton’s skin and the diaper itself in the event of diaper rash), and the baby powder.  I have baby lotion.  I have baby oil.  And I have all of these things in a convenient little travel size bottle to fit in his diaper bag.  I’ve got a little travel size wipes container, too.

Whee!  I’m so excited.  It’s rather lame, I think, that I’m so excited about cloth diapering, but such is.  Norton will be here any time between the next thirty-two to fifty-three days.  Oh, I’m so ready. But just to be on the safe side, am I missing anything regarding Norton’s bum?

Originally written on January 19, 2010.

I’m amazed at how much things have changed in three and a half years.  Could I have gotten by with the majority of what I started cloth diapering with?  Oh, yes, but it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as fun.

I loved those Bummis liners, but I’ve moved beyond them to a diaper sprayer.  I’ve stopped using disposable wipes at home in favor of cloth ones.  I ditched the diaper pail for storing dirty diapers in favor of a hanging wet bag.  I sold that liner for the diaper pail since it just didn’t fit nicely in that pail, anyway.

Overnight diapers?  Ha.  With Eudora, that was an easy thing.  With Norton, it took a lot of trial and error.  The little AppleCheeks booster I bought was more for daytime use to give a little extra protection.  It was not, in any way, shape or form, appropriate for overnights.  I have still been known to use Boudreaux’s Butt Paste, but that wasn’t the non-cloth diaper safe cream I started with.  If I have to use it, I use a microfleece liner in between.  Baby powder is awesome.  I switched brands of baby lotion, but it’s not used much, and I never used baby oil.

Oh, yeah, and those 19 FuzziBunz one size diapers that I started with?  I still have some in my rotation.  I’ve never thrown one out.  I still do the majority of my cloth diaper shopping at Cozy Bums.  I still get amazing service from them.  I still prefer supporting local businesses whenever possible and feasible.

How have your cloth diapering habits changed since you first took the plunge?

Comments

1. I go longer between washes. At first I washed every day. Now I wash every third day.

2. Jennifer Van Huss says:

I tried clothe diapers. I love the concept but I hate the mess and the laundry! 🙁

• Really? I find the mess with sposies to be much worse, particularly considering one is supposed to flush the poop from those, too!

• Kris Broyles says:

I agree with Suzi! The messes in disposables were way worse for me than with cloth, and the laundry wasn’t that bad, the worse part about laundry (for me) is having to take everything out and fold it, and you don’t have to do that with cloth diapers, just take them out and throw them in the basket, drawer, whatever lol.

3. Joyce Brewer says:

One of my parenting regrets is NOT using cloth diapers. It wasn’t until our son was almost 10 months old and I joined a mommy group that I really learned about them.

4. I didn’t pressure myself into loving cloth when we started, but I couldn’t imagine it any other way!

I never tried liners – not sure if I would for next kids.

5. Looking back, I am also amazed on my cloth diapering choices and how they changed from child #1 & #2. With the first, it was all about having only a 2-day supply of prefolds & covers since my husband and I were quite interested in saving the most amount of money on a stash as possible. With the next child, I was on a mission to try as many diapers that I could get my hands on 🙂

6. Emily_faliLV says:

I love this!!! Before and after advice is awesome! BTW What is your night time solution?

• Depends. For Eudora, we mainly use Best Bottom shells with stay dry inserts and microfiber overnight doublers. 🙂 For Norton? It’s hardcore. Usually, Blueberry microterry inserts with a Thirsties hemp prefold in a trifold behind the microterry, all stuffed in a Blueberry or AppleCheeks diaper shell. It’s still not bulletproof, but it’s the closest thing yet. That kid can rupture sposies.

7. Thanks for the cloth diaper tips!

8. Melissa Ryan says:

Isn’t it funny to realize how far we have come as cloth diapering mommas? I too bought disposable liners of which I used a handful of times and quickly opted to just spray them with a diaper sprayer as well.

with baby #3 my stash looks nothing like it did when I started cloth diapering baby #1. I too started with a bunch of fuzzi bunz OS diapers, I used them until toddlerhood with my first born but then ended up selling them as I found new more exciting diapers to use. It sure is a fun hobby though!

10. I don’t have kids yet but I plan to use cloth when I do. They are so cute! I’m so thankful for blogs liek yours that discuss cloth – i heard about it thru blogs and was really surprised and knew nothing about it at first but i’ve totally come around after reading so much about them on blogs.

11. Olivia L says:

I’m cloth diapering #2 right now, and I wouldn’t have it any other way! With two kids though, my CD laundry sits in my dryer a lot longer…

12. disqus_BtLHgPHkwG says:

What you need for cloth diapering. Some old fashion cloth diapers some diaper pins a clean damp wash cloth worked om me and your mother and all of my children

13. valerie godin says:

Love CDing! It took me a while to actually go for it, but once I did, I never looked back. It is a lot easier than it seems and so much cheaper than buying pampers every week!

14. Brynn Arego says:

We are switching to cloth with my youngest, we have almost everything we need but the initial investment is a bit expensive.

15. Mel Cole says:

My 2 kids used cloth diapers when they were babies too. Your baby boy is so cute!

16. I love this post! What a great idea to find a throwback and then do an update. I love that those fuzzibunz are still in rotation. I have some diapers going strong still too.

17. I bought a bunch of the Fuzzibunz OS before my baby came as well. Thankfully I didn’t get 19 because they are my LEAST favorite pocket diaper. I just don’t get it. The elastic is a pain to adjust and is too stiff so it either leaves gaps or red marks, the crotch isn’t wide enough so I get blowouts out the legs, they’re hard to stuff, and the elastic in the back should be covered with soft lining! I hope to find people who do like them and sell them off and make some of my money back. Thankfully I have a variety of other kinds of diapers, so I think I’ll be ok with what I have.

• I actually found everything to be just the opposite. I never had any problems with leaks, blowouts, or anything else. Are your OS diapers the minky Elites? Those are quite narrow. The original FuzziBunz OS and Charlie Banana diapers are the same width.

18. Anne Sweden says:

Ok, you’re way ahead of me cause I’m still using liners! LOL Love the white Fuzzibunz on cute little Norton. Isn’t it fun reading your thoughts from just a few years ago? I

19. Since I’m starting cloth with an 18 month old it was a bit of a daunting investment (especially since we are not having more kiddos) but I have found that there are lots of way to cloth diaper on a budget and have found that i LOVE it! I wish started with kiddo #1! Just in a few months some diapers have come and gone….my newest are fuzzibuns large perfect size because she is a big girl!

20. Jennifer Aldridge says:

I didn’t realize there were organizations where you could donate your old cloth diapers. Good resource to know. And I’m totally jealous of your stash!

21. Vanessa Coker says:

Fun to see all the changes to the cloth diapering world. I started in 3/2011 and my son potty trained about 6 months ago. I’m now expecting baby #2 and already noticed a ton of new things ! crazy.

22. i used regular with the older one and these are better and no pins

23. This is awesome. I wish I had kept a record of my thought processes while considering cloth. I don’t think blogs were nearly so popular back then. Were they around for the everyday mom 9 years ago?lol. I love cloth diapering. I almost want another baby so I can do it again.lol

• LOL! They were still pretty much in their infancy. People were using LiveJournal a lot then (I started mine eleven years ago to the day), and Blogger and Moveable Type were popular on personal websites. 🙂

24. Kris Broyles says:

Love this! Isn’t it fun to go back and see how much we’ve changed and grown?

25. Kassi Peerman says:

Cloth diaper has always seemed so intimidating and I have been trying to do as much research as possible to make sure I am prepared. It is nice to see the throwback for when you were just getting started to how things ended up for you. Awesome post!

26. Ashleigh Swerdfeger says:

I love this throwback post! It shows how much the tiniest thing can change in a few years. It is interesting too see how your use of cloth diapers has evolved. I also agree that I think disposables are nastier when it comes to dumping out the poop. Washing cloth diapers isn’t any different than washing dirty baby clothes. Its all about finding what works for you though.

27. Shalaina Simmons says:

I love that you gave an update by the way of what worked and what didn’t, as well as how your diapering preferences changed. This is baby #3 for us, but the first to be in cloth. I’m excited to see how things will evolve with our diapering routine (mostly because I’m hooked on all of the cute prints we missed out on with the other two, lol)

28. Cloth diapering is still pretty shiny and new to me; we started in early June. It’s so fun reading about other people’s experiences. I really liked my Charlie Banana diapers when I first started, but now they are my least favorite. Love my diaper sprayer!

29. It must be fun to read old posts like this! I’ve already changed my “intended” routine several times and I haven’t officially started cloth diapering yet because baby #1 won’t be here until December. I plan to start off with a variety of supplies and then see what works from there because I think everyone needs to find their groove with CD!