I really, really wanted to review the new bumGenius Elemental 3.0 myself. Since my children have outgrown diapers, I’ve had to pass along cloth diaper reviews to awesome mom friends of mine. Bailey of Simply Mom Bailey has been provided the bumGenius Elemental 3.0 for review so that she could share her honest opinions.
There is nothing more exciting the release of a new cloth diaper, especially for the addict in all of us. The reveal of a redesign of the bumGenius Elemental at ABC Kids Expo 2016 was no exception to the excitement. Lucky for me, Cozy Bums was just the destination to pick up a new and improved BumGenius Elemental!
Personally, I have been a long time enthusiast for the first generation of the Elemental and I’m giddy with excitement to see the return of the rolled elastic. Let’s see how this redesign holds up.
bumGenius is a diaper manufactured by Cotton Babies, who also make Flip. The company is based out of St. Louis, Missouri and run by the fearless CEO, Jenn Labit. bumGenius has been a mainstay of the modern cloth diaper industry. The first bumGenius pocket diaper was created 2005. From there, they have refined and developed their designs into the bumGenius 5.0, the bumGenius Elemental 3.0, the bumGenius Freetime, and the Flip.
bumGenius Elemental 3.0 Diaper Design
The Elemental 3.0 embraces many of the familiar design elements of its earlier predecessors, and continues to be an All-in-One Diaper. It’s the same shape and size, making it suitable for babies 8-35lbs. It still offers patented stretchy tabs. And inside the diaper, you’ll still find organic cotton and a loop design absorbency.
With the 3.0, we find the return of rolled elastics. The 3.0 features an organic cotton inner that backs the PUL (no more exposed PUL!) and is complimented with a SINGLE LOOP of luxurious organic cotton. Both the loop and backing consist of three layers of organic cotton, providing you with a total of 6 layers of absorbency.
What I Love about the bumGenius Elemental 3.0
Who doesn’t love an All-in-One? Aside from the classic reasons to love a simple, easy to wash diaper, here’s what I love about the Elemental 3.0.
- Organic Cotton! One of my first priorities when choosing a diaper is natural fibres. I love keeping synthetics at bay. Natural fibres give me an easy care diaper that washes out beautifully.
- Longer & Skinner Loop. The loop in the 3.0 is slightly longer and skinnier than previous versions. This extra bit of length and narrowness of the loop make it easier to fold up on the shorter rises. This simple change reduces the overall bulk at the front of the diaper.
- Seriously Trim. The Elemental has always been a trim diaper, and the 3.0 is no exception! A few changes in the shape of the loop, give a cleaner fit both in the front and back. And my little man’s tush couldn’t get any trimmer if it was a disposable.
- Single Loop. Unlike the previous double loop, the single loop means easier clean up at the end of the day (*ahem* Poop doesn’t get squished between the layers and result in many an irritated mama trying to spray it clean).
Improvements & Concerns
My husband and I have one major area of concern with the bumGenius Elemental 3.0. As the Chief Poop Sprayer, he was the first to address the issue with me.
The Loop. That darn Loop. When it comes to spraying a diaper clean that lovely, darling loop of cotton absorbency becomes a poop catcher. My husband wished to provide visual demonstration, but we held back. This was a constant complaint of mine with earlier versions, and continues to be my biggest concern. I *just wish* they had decided to cut the end of the loop to allow it to flap freely for the removal of solid waste (and to allow me to fold it up to maximize absorbency where I need it most).
If you use any sort of cloth diaper liner, whether it be fleece or disposable, this is probably a moot point.
A few other concerns I have…
- Absorbency isn’t great. It’s about average compared to other major natural fibre All-in-One’s, and on par with the previous Elemental.
- It would be LOVELY if the Elemental 3.0 offered the option for stay dry. Personally, a stay dry diaper isn’t make or break for my little guy, but I understand that many families value this.
The bumGenius Elemental 3.0 ranks highly on my list of recommendations and I strongly encourage you to give it a try. You’ll fall in love, and soon be collecting a rainbow of Elemental 3.0’s to complete your stash. Choosing an organic cotton all-in-one will not let you down.
The new bumGenius Elemental 3.0 is beginning to arrive at Cozy Bums Diapers. All colours are available for pre-order and will be shipped out as they arrive. Cozy Bums expects to have all colours (except for Fearless) in stock by the end of the month. Fearless should arrive in mid to late December.